The St.St. Konstantin and Elena Church is one of the oldest Christian temples in Plovdiv. It was built on top of the fortified acropolis wall. The original church – dedicated to Emperor Constantine the Great and his mother Elena – was built in AD 337. During the years, the building was destroyed and rebuilt several times. Its current edifice was constructed in 1832 with the help of local patriots. Its magnificent frescoes and icons were painted by masters of one of the most famous Bulgarian Icongraphic Schools.