Monuments in Plovdiv
Asenova Fortress is situates in the Rhodope Mountains, 2-3 km south of Asenovgrad. The earliest archaeological findings date back to the time of the Thracians. The fortress gained importance in the Middle Ages, first mentioned in the statute of the Bachkovo Monastery as Petrich in the 11th century. The fortress was conquered by the armies of the Third Crusade. It was considerably renovated in the 13th century during the rule of Bulgarian tsar Ivan Asen II to serve as a border fortification against Latin raids, as evidenced by an eight-line wall inscription.
Milio is a popular, kind hearted and eccentric person from the near past of Plovdiv. Brandes by some as a “harmless crazy”, he lived in the city in the sixties and was a famous gossip. The legend goes that he knew the gossips of the whole town and told them to everyone interested (and occasionaly uninterested) in them.He was a muse for several famous Bulgarian artists, most notably the world famous Zlatio Boyadjiev.
Monument of Reunion is 12 m high and was built in 1985. The Monument is symbol of the Reunion of Bulgaria in 1885. The bird’s wings represents the unity of the two separeted parts of Bulgaria. It is located at the Union square together with the historical and archeological museums.
This monument on Alexander the Great located a few feet from the monument dedicated to the Russian army upon a hill in Plovdiv.
Philip II the Macedon conquested the Trakian City Evmolpia and gave it its name – Philippopolis (Nowadays Plovdiv). Interesting fact is that Plovdiv has 7 different names in different epochs. The monument is a gift from Thessaloniki Embassy. In the beginning they put it at Djumaya square but now it’s removed at the corner of Avksenti Veleshki street and Philip the Macedoia str.